Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I don't blog enough

I think I started this blog in 2009...
My girlfriend just interrupted with "Did the yoghurt not yog?"
"No, but it's been taking longer." I reply after a pause. The weather is getting colder, it is half-way through April after all. Today was warm and sunny but I could wear long pants and long t-shirt comfortably all day outside. We were working on my parents yard again.
My brother and father took rubbish to the dump, moved heavy things and we pruned a tree. The past three days have been very industrious; the place is looking less 'cosy' and more 'well-kempt' if you know what I mean...
Anyway, about the yoghurt. My sister got this live yoghurt culture from some of her yachtee friends. According to the information I have about it, it originated in Turkey some hundred years ago or so, and can be kept alive as yoghurt by transferring a teaspoon full to a sterile jar with water and powdered milk, then it 'yogs'. A new verb meaning to turn into yoghurt! Woo new verb!
So our yoghurt was doing really well. I was eating it fresh every day on muesli with fruit and chia seeds, feeling the health, and then it went hyperactive. This was bad, hyperactive yoghurt culture means separated and gassy yoghurt. The good news: we put it through a sieve and made a thick sauce with curry powder, garlic and salt. The bad: no fresh yoghurt for a week! It's only just recovering now.
Further yoghurt tragedy struck thismorning as I dolefully made up a new batch, one I knew would separate and not yog properly. I was almost at the end of the process, stirring in the powdered milk, when suddenly a small piece of glass erupted from the bottom of the jar and lumpy milk-water with yoghurt culture in it started pissing out all over the kitchen bench and then the floor.
It was a milky flood.
A disaster of epic proportions.
Even Kiki, the hungry cat couldn't lick it all up.
I spat the dummy and refused to clean it all up.

So, hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up to a fresh batch of yoghurt but right now my brother is making peppermint tea, putting 3 teabags into the pot. That's just how he rolls.

3 comments:

  1. oh wow...I did not realize that hyperactive yoghurt was a thing..I googled it and could not find a meaning for it...yicks..hope it recovers for you xoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say this, my yoghurt has been acting funny too. It hasn't been setting properly. I put it down to the cooler weather (but it's not really that much cooler up here so I'm probably kidding myself). I hope all our yoghurts get well soon!

    I'm glad Kiki the cat got to help you clean up :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah ours has been a bit runny lately too! You should blog more!

    ReplyDelete